Entry 1: Course Introduction

Hi everyone and welcome to my blog!
Coming from an English speaking family, except for my dad who spoke it fluently (but only at work) it was difficult for me to learn Spanish when it came time to in high school when it was required. Ortega states, "the hypothesis of a critical period for L1 acquisition, and as a corollary for L2 acquisition, seemed natural in the late 1960s and continues to be considered plausible today", (2013, pg. 12). I believe this to be true because I know that I had an incredibly hard time trying to learn a second language this late in my life. I would struggle every single day in these classes, even with my dads help, I would have a hard time understanding and fully grasping the concepts of the Spanish language. I knew a few words or phrases from my father who spoke Spanish every once in a while around me, but that was it. I feel that it is easier for a young child to learn a new language rather than an adult. Having ESL classes in elementary schools is so important because of this reason, that younger children can learn a new language much easier than a teenager or adult. The young children who are coming into classes not speaking any English are able to pick up on the new language much more quickly because of the ESL classes that are available in schools. The younger the student learns the new language the sooner they will become successful while using that language!

Click here for my video!

Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2013. Print.

Comments

  1. It is very interesting to see that you and your father have gone through similar linguistic experiences regarding Spanish. What factors do you think hinder your Spanish learning as a child? How much did your father influence your desire to learn or not this language. Learning something later in life is difficult for every one and learning languages is particularly difficult because of the ideas people have about how they are best learned. For example, most of people think that you must learn vocabulary and grammar and then start constructing your own sentences instead of spending time listening to speakers of the language in every day situations and learning from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi professor Avellaneda,
      I think the factor that hindered my Spanish learning as a child was that I was not exposed enough to the language. My dad did not push learning Spanish on me as much as I wish he would have. I think if he would have wanted me to learn the language a little more, I would have stuck with it. Learning Spanish is something I wish I would have taken more seriously while learning it in high school so I would have much more background knowledge in the language.

      Delete
  2. Hello Mackenzie

    It is really encouraging to hear that your dad picked up and Spanish and became fluent in it and even going so far as to be able to read and write it as well. I grew up in a household that spoke another language, and theoretically that should have made me fluent in two languages, but that was not the case for me because I started losing my native language due to my choices. Younger kids definitely have a better chance at mastering the language as they are younger and have a more open window of mastering the language, and according to Ortega, they specifically have a “biological window of four to six years of age”(Ortega, 2013, p.12). Sure, it is scary, but based on the information in the video, at least the kids at your school made that new student feel welcome. With time, she should be able to master the language with constant practice and exposure. It would very likely be more easy for her at her current age.

    References: Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2013. Print

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mackenzie,

    I think it's super interesting that your dad can speak Spanish fluently. As Ortega states, children who are younger have an easier time learning a new language so I can understand why you had a hard time learning Spanish in high school (Ortega, 2011). I also agree with your statement that states that you believe ESL classes are important in elementary school because children at this age are able to learn other languages easier than us as adults. I also like that it can help all students whose first language is not English to learn English so they are able to understand what is being said in school. I also love your last sentence where you say that the sooner they learn the new language, the faster they'll be successful. I find that is a powerful statement because if they do not understand what is being said in class, then it will hinder their success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Younger children are very fortunate to have that plasticity to learn multiple languages. That critical time window of that Ortega mentions does put on a certain kind of pressure for children to be exposed as early as possible to make the learning and absorption process easier before they start losing that plasticity around age nine (Ortega, 2013, p.12). I know of a friend who came here from out of the U.S. at a very young age and is perfectly fluent in both English and Spanish now.

      References: Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2013. Print

      Delete

Post a Comment