Now that this class is coming to an end, I have learned a lot throughout the weeks about what individuals experience when learning a second language. When I first started this course, the word acquisition was new to me. I now realize that there is so much more than just how to teach English Language Learners, for example, what and how they are motivated, and the struggles that some ELLs go through. I feel that it is important to put theory into practice, and that will be done in our future classrooms.
Ortega defined Second Language Acquisition as “…the scholarly field of inquiry that investigates the human capacity to learn languages other than the first, during late childhood, adolescence, or adulthood, and once the first language or languages have been acquired” (Ortega, 2013, p.1-2). I have now come to know that there are so many different ideas, theories and concepts involved in SLA. I have also learned that there are many different types of bilinguals, and the stages they are in effects how much of a second or additional language they speak, and it also classifies them as to what type of help and instruction they need in order to grow as an individual who is no longer monolingual. I have been able to see different aspects of SLA in my field placement. I have mentioned before that I have an ELL in my classroom and having her there has been a great learning experience for me. I think having her in my classroom has helped me to see different types of motivation and a wide range of learning techniques that ELLs use in order to learn a new language.
As future educators, it is important to know how to make these students’ experience as meaningful as possible while they are in your classroom. It is also important to know how these students are motivated and what motivates them to learn a second language. I found this class to be extremely helpful in regards to the type of teaching style I want to have with any ELLs I may have in my classroom. I have also gained a perspective I never had before, which is trying to learn a new language. Trying to learn a new language with everything else I had going on; student teaching, work, school, a social life; was a huge eye opener for me and made me come to the realization how hard it is to learn a new language with everything else in life happening at the same time. I think it is important to consider this when having any ELLs in my future classroom.
I found the different types of motivation interesting when in regards to learning a new language. Like I mentioned, I now have a better understanding, and appreciation, of what it feels like to try and learn a second or additional language. I never thought about how difficult it is to learn a new language with other things in your life going on until taking this class. Everyone is motivated in different ways, and as educators we must find what motivates them and do that in order to keep them learning. Having a positive attitude towards the ELLs while they are trying their best is important to keep them motivated, and to have a lower level of stress while learning the second, or additional language. Ortega (2013) states, “attitudes towards the L2 and its speakers will contribute to increased or diminished L2 motivation” (pg. 174). If you keep a positive attitude towards them, they may not feel as stressed and will be more motivated to learn the new language. This is an important job for a teacher who has ELLs in their classroom because you only want them to be successful in your classroom.
I found the VBlogs very helpful. I found that being able to hear from a wide range of different people and experiences was where I learned the most content from. I felt that being able to have the opportunity to learn from speaking with others, and watching their videos every week gave us a learning experience that we don’t normally have. Ortega (2013) talks about the importance of interaction between people for learning to take place, and I felt that we were able to put theory into practice with the VBlogs. As a future educator, I will remember this type of learning, because not everyone learns the same way, and I felt that the VBlogs gave us a chance to learn in many different ways at once.
References:
Ortega, L. (2013). Understanding second language acquisition. Routledge.
Hello Mackenzie, just like you, I was not sure what second language acquisition meant at first. In the beginning of this course I confused it interchangeably for second language methodology, but now I understand how it is a completely separate entity. Also, like you, one of my favorite topics that we have learned about this semester is motivation. Ortega states, “In particular, positive attitudes towards the learning context as well as the L2 community and culture (developed through prior positive learning experiences) and current satisfaction with teachers and instruction can boost motivation considerably,” (2013, pg. 190). As teachers we can work to help create those positive attitudes towards the learning context and instruction, as well as a positive L2 environment, in order to help motivate our ELL students to learn English as a second language.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your exemplary entry. I, as you, find interaction key and in an online class where I am never able to interact with students or to have them interact, I am always looking for ways to do this. Some of your classmates seem not to enjoy the experience and I wonder if time has to do with it. It can be a time-consuming assignment and I think many prefer something quick as a test. However, I think a test does not really allow me to see how your ideas are being shaped and I consider writing a great tool to see that process. I am glad that you realize the importance of interaction for ELLs. We need to interact with speakers who are more proficient and children, particularly, learn the most when they interact with their peers. This concept will help you think about activities in class where students interact and help each other to construct knowledge rather than you passing it to them. Thank you for your great work.
ReplyDeleteHi Mackenzie,
ReplyDeletePrior to this course, I did not consciously think about the process of language learning or realize how integrative SLA is with other disciplines. The experiences in this course has allowed me to further reflect on my teaching style. One of my biggest takeaways from this course was discovering that learning language is never just about language. For many students, language learning “…is about succeeding in attaining material, symbolic and affective returns...[but] it is also about being considered by others as worth social beings…” (Ortega, 2011, pg. 250). As future educators, it is our responsibility to equip students with the life skills they need to succeed in life. Providing proper methods of learning will allow students to develop their knowledge.
Hi Mackenzie,
ReplyDeleteThroughout this course, I also felt as though I was able to relate to ELL's and get a better understanding for my future ELL's in my classroom. Not knowing what to say or who to say it to was uncomfortable and intimidating. It is easy to see why students hesitate so much in class and I feel like I can now have a better chance of helping them. I think if we are inviting and motivate them to come out of their shells, the students will be able to succeed in their classes. Many times these students have attitudes that can determine how they are going to act in class. "These attitudes come from the collective values, beliefs, attitudes and
even behaviours that are rewarded and modelled for the learner in the communities
in which he or she participates, be it a classroom..." (Ortega, 2011, pg. 174) If we can change their attitudes, maybe we can encourage them to enjoy class and speak out to everyone around them.
Hey Mackenzie,
ReplyDeleteI too have a better understanding and appreciation for anyone learning a second language. It is definitely not an easy task which is why motivation is so important. I like how you mentioned that everyone is motivated in different ways, this is very true. There are many different ways to be motivated and Ortega mentions a few. Ortega mentions a few forms of motivation; these forms are intrinsic motivation and extrinsic motivation. “When individuals engage in behavior that they understand as self-initiated by choice and largely sustained by inherent enjoyment in the activity (that is, as an end in itself, for the sheer sake of learning), they are said to be intrinsically motivated (Ortega, 2013, p.176). That is one form of motivation that Ortega mentions, and the other is extrinsic motivation. Extrinsic motivation is the type of motivation I have had over the course of this class. According to Ortega (2013), extrinsic motivation is “…When individuals construe their behavior as structured by a means–end, pragmatic–instrumental causation that is imposed from the outside, their sense of self-causation and autonomy is low, if present at all” (p.176). In other words, this type of motivation is formed when a learner wants to learn the L2 for things such as a better salary or good grade.
Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2013, Print.